April showers bring… blissful horseback riding adventures.

Spring is here and we are all ready to get outside, enjoy the outdoors and get wet.  But for many of us, the prospect of getting wet from a little sprinkle from the clouds is much less appealing than jumping into a refreshing Austin favorite such as Hamilton Pool, Bull Creek or Barton Springs.  If you’ve made plans to go boating, enjoy a market or festival, or even just stroll through South Congress enjoying all the quirky shops and restaurants, you may see impending weather forecasts and feel a little sense of dread.  And surely that dread rises in your throat when you’ve made reservations to go for a half day horseback riding excursion, after carefully budgeting your daily allowance for your Texas vacation or local staycation.

clip art of rain drop with googly eyes and smile
#TXweather

Here’s something interesting I recently learned from one of my riders: In Portland, Oregon, the weather often has daily precipitation.  When there’s a chance of sunshine, even if it’s only 30%, the forecast shows a big ole smiling sun.

You know what?  Vice versa goes here.  If there’s a 30% chance of rain, sure enough you’ll see images of thunderstorms and rain clouds. The kicker is that a 30% chance of rain *actually* means 70% chance of sunshine.  Don’t be fooled by the weather forecasters, who use clever marketing to keep you tuned in.  And even IF there’s rain in your day, it almost ALWAYS is spotted, which means that buy arcoxia online uk it’s a rarity indeed for a day to get rained out.

clip art of umbrella with rain drops pattering about
Texas Weather: Learn to love it

If it *is* raining, still no worries!  All of the wildlife comes out to enjoy the soft drizzle that is often the worst of “bad” weather that we see.  The Great Blue Heron, White Cranes and local deer make many appearances on our ranch.  From time to time you may even see a skunk or armadillo too!

Remember, the concept of a “perfect Austin horseback trail ride” is a bit of a romanticized idea.  Quite a bit!  Horseback riding is AWESOME but it’s also always got some element in it that makes it real.  Your horse has a mind of his own, and when he’s working a heavier load, he may have encountered insensitive riders before.  As you may have guessed, when weather is perfect, many riders come out and so the horses may be feeling… er… less than perfect.  Take advantage of cooler weather and happier horses by scheduling a trail ride, even if the weather forecast shows a chance for rain.  If you do get rained out, there is no charge to you.  We do our best to reschedule your trail if weather conditions at the Dude Ranch make your trail unsafe.

We ride rain or shine so git ready to cowboy on.  We’ll have a blast and so will the horses!

Three big blue rain drops won't keep horse vacation goers away from our Texas dude ranch
We ride on whether rain or shine

The Blog

Thoughts, musings, and ruminations.

sunset at dude ranch in San Marcos offers scenic views and horseback riding adventures for equestrians of all skill levels and ages

Maverick to be Featured by Texas State Highways Magazine

They’re at it again!  Maverick just wrapped up with YoloTX Travel TV Show as a featured item of Top Texas Travel things to do, but they’re not finished yet!  Texas State Highways Magazine will be coming out on Monday, October 16th to feature our acclaimed riding lessons in Central Texas.  Maverick’s Horseback Riding Stables is […]

Continue Reading

YoloTX arrives tomorrow at 7:30am to premier Maverick’s as a Top Texas Thing to Do

Well believe it or not, the time is here.  Soon we will be able to point to YoloTX TV show along with an array of Austin-based companies that have represented Maverick’s Horsemanship Lessons as a top thing to do.  We are super excited to be part of this fun filming process.  We figure, hey, if they can […]

Continue Reading
Trail guide and wrangler prepares brown and white paint gelding for trail, pictured in front of pipe fence at Hutto Texas facility, tacked in Western gear

Top Texas TV Travel Show, YoloTX, will be featuring Maverick Riding as a Thing to Do!

What’s happening at Maverick’s? On Monday, YoloTX’s host, AC, will be coming to spend the day with us.  This means a lot of things for us, but what it really means is something for you!  It means that we need volunteers.  We are going to ride over the hills and through the woods, tra la […]

Continue Reading